FAQs Regarding Energy Performance Certificates

What is an Energy Performance Certificate? (Top ▲)

Energy Performance Certificate

It is a document, produced by an Home Energy Assessor, which must be available to be viewed before the property is marketed. The Certificate rates the energy performance of properties on a scale of ‘A’ – ‘G’. Rating ‘A’ is the most efficient (for example a new build property with double glazing/ loft and cavity wall insulation) through to rating ‘G’ which is the least efficient (for example an old property with no insulation and sash windows).

Do You Have an ‘A’ Rated Home? The New Energy Performance Certificate (Top ▲)

Most of us are now familiar with the concept of ‘A’ – ‘E’ ratings on white goods - designed to easily inform purchasers of the energy efficiency of a particular product. This concept will shortly apply to your home as well.....

Green World

England and Wales have a legal duty to comply with a 2002 European Directive on energy efficiency. This legal duty will be satisfied through the Energy Performance Certificate.

The introduction of the EPC will provide every homebuyer with a comprehensive report on the cost of running their potential new home - information that up until now has not been readily available. The certificates, along with additional incentives, such as green mortgages and schemes to offer homebuyers cash to make energy saving alterations, will increase consumer awareness and will encourage homeowners to make a number of adjustments that will lead to savings - in both monetary and energy terms.

Why do we need to energy rate properties? (Top ▲)

Climate change is becoming an increasing concern, both in the UK and worldwide. Levels of carbon dioxide (CO2) in the atmosphere, one of the main causes of climate change, have risen by more than a third since the industrial revolution and are now rising faster than ever before. This has led to rising temperatures and some quite significant environmental changes.

Artic conditions - polar bears
  • Ice caps retreating
  • Artic sea ice has thinned by 40%
  • Global mean sea level rising an average 1-2mm a year
  • Global snow cover decreased by 10% since 1960's
  • 'El Nino' events more frequent & intense
  • Increased use of Thames Barrier from once every 2 yrs to 6 times per year over past 5 yrs
  • Weather related economic losses increased 10 fold over last 40 years

(Source: Governments 'Energy White Paper' Feb. 2003)

Green World

In light of these concerns, the Government has committed to a target of a 60% reduction in carbon dioxide emissions by 2050.

In terms of CO2 emissions, buildings are the biggest culprit in the UK, with domestic homes contributing more greenhouse gases than other buildings. Up to a third of all the CO2 emissions form the UK are from the domestic home!

The Government seeks to change attitudes by raising awareness; by giving home owners consistent information on how energy efficient their properties are the Government's aim is to stimulate improvement in thermal performance of the housing stock in the UK.

Wind turbine

Energy Ratings provide a measure of the fuel cost and CO2 emissions of a property, similar to the miles-per-gallon and exhaust emission figures published for new cars.

Everyone wins with energy conservation; the householder spends less on fuel, the Government meets its targets and scarce resources are conserved. There is considerable scope for improvement.

More than 75% of cavity walls in existing dwellings remain un-insulated, more than 60% of loft spaces have less than 100mm of loft insulation and most heating systems are poorly controlled with low efficiency.

Energy Efficient Radiator

Improvements in thermal performance are excellent investments for the home owner:

  • A typical 1960's house could have its fuel bills reduced by £200 per year for an expenditure of about £500 on additional insulation - an effective rate of return of 40% - tax free and inflation

Currently, 27% of the country's C02 emissions come from residential property. The introduction of the EPC will offer an opportunity for us to tackle this figure and could prove a catalyst in significantly reducing carbon emission across the UK

Do I have to have an Energy Performance Certificate to sell my home?

Government regulations have made it a legal requirement that an EPC is avaiable to be viewed by prospective tenants and buyers BEFORE the property is marketed in any form.

Financial penalties will apply for failure to comply with this legislation, with fines up to £500 per property.

How much will an Energy Performance Certificate cost? (Top ▲)

There is no market norm yet. This will depend on the size and type of property but the industry is currently suggesting around £90 for a 4 bedroom house. However HEA Services will in fact only be charging £53.00 (no vat) for a 4 bedroomed house.

Low energy light bulbs

What does the Energy Performance Certificate cover? (Top ▲)

Typically the EPC will look at all aspects of the property from the roof down to the basement It will consider such things as wall construction, age of property,type and condition of hot water and heating system.

It will also give information on ways to improve your Energy rating from simple things such as changing to low energy light bulbs to solar and photovoltaic panels together with likely annual savings

Loft Insulation


If a typical, 1930s three bedroom semi detached property increased its loft insulation, put in place a good fitting hot water cylinder jacket and invested in cavity wall insulation, at a cost of around £1,200, the average energy bill for the property would fall by approximately £360 a year, resulting in a return on investment in just over three years.

How do I find an Energy Performance Assessor? (Top ▲)

HEAServices are a newly formed company that specialise in producing Energy Performance Certificates accurately and swiftly. For further information or to arrange a property visit please use the contact details at the top of this page or alternatively go to my contact page to email me direct.

Do I require an EPC if I am renting out a property? (Top ▲)

As from October 1st 2008 all residential property that is available for rent must have an EPC that is accessable to potential tenants before the property is marketed.

Web design by Goldplateuk.com